Error messageThe start time of the group ride is in the past.
Winter Training Series (WTS) 7: Conway, Lake Samish, Chuckanut
KEEPING RIDERS SAFE
- Advance registration required. If you decide not to ride, please click Cancel My Registration below to open space for others. (How to cancel)
- Attendance at the pre-ride safety briefing is required to participate in the ride.
- All participants must follow Wash. state guidance on masking, distancing and vaccination for indoor and outdoor activities.
- If you have tested positive for COVID or have been exposed to someone with COVID, follow the CDC quarantine and isolation guidelines. In general, if you have COVID or are displaying COVID symptoms, you should not participate in group rides.
- Some rides stop at indoor venues. All riders should have face coverings available in case a business or public transit requires their use.
- A CPSC certified helmet is required to be worn to participate.
- Click here for more Details
If you are new, please read our newcomer information.
This is the seventh of this year's nine Winter Training Series rides. WTS weekly rides are on Sundays, starting January 8th and ending on March 5th. During this nine-ride series, distances progress from about 34 miles to 100 miles. WTS is a great way to do some early season training, with a natural buildup of miles, while enjoying the company of other riders. Winter riding is tough enough--this gives you a chance to do it with friends.
This is a pleasant ride north along Route 9 by Big Lake and then Lake Samish with a return down Chuckanut Drive and Bayview Edison Road. There are hills at the beginning, and while the end is flat, there is sure to be wind in the flat sections.
Generally the Winter Training Series rides start at 9:00 AM except the last one. The 100-miler on March 5th will start at 8:00 AM. Please be at the start early enough to have your registration confirmed, pump up your tires, adjust your fenders, and put all your warm clothes on. Registration check-off begins at 8:30 AM. The mandatory ride & safety announcements are at 9:00 AM, and we start riding when that is completed. If you miss the briefing, you will not be able to ride with the group. Registration prior to the ride start is required. Click the red "Register Now" button at the top of this page. Registration cutoff is 4 hours prior to ride start time.
These are self-paced and self-guided rides, with friendly encouragement and lots of camaraderie from other riders (many of whom are experienced with group riding). THERE ARE NO REGROUPS IN THIS SERIES. For more general information, please follow the link below to Introduction to WTS.
VERY IMPORTANT: If you desire a cue sheet, please go to the route link below and print one for yourself. There won't be any available from the ride leaders.
All rides are rain or shine. We might shorten a route for really foul weather, but the only outright cancelation will be for snow or ice. We may delay the start if we believe that the conditions will be safer a bit later in the day. CHECK THIS WEBPAGE BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME.
Note: If weather conditions meet the weather cancellation criterion listed above or if there are unforeseen hazardous riding conditions or other unexpected events, the Ride Leader will post a ride-canceled note in the Comments section below at least two hours prior to the start and Ride Leader(s) will not be at the start location
As always, please watch out for each other, local traffic, and respect traffic laws. This includes sticking to posted speed limits on any trails we might be using. Use special care at the ride start which will be crowded before riders spread out.
Directions to Start: Directions to Start: From Seattle drive north on I-5. Take Exit 221. Turn left (west) across the freeway. Go 0.3 miles to a right on Fir Island Rd. Go .7 miles to turn right on Dike Road just before the bridge. Look for parking area on left on the way to the boat launch ramp. Note: there are no restrooms there. Stop at the gas station in Conway if needed.
Registrations so far...