Error messageThe start time of the group ride is in the past.
Lake Sammamish Loop/Redmond Trail Celebration (READ DESCRIPTION) (Brisk)
If you are new, please read our newcomer information.
Please join us for a 26.6 Mile Brisk (16-18 mph in flats on your own without wind) social ramble around Lake Sammamish! This ride makes two social stops: one for beverage/food, and one for the Eastside Rail Corridor progress celebration. Please read the description logistics very carefully.
- The route Start is at East Lake Sammamish Trailhead, just west of Whole Foods Market in Redmond, Washington. There is ample parking, but you are encouraged to ride to the Start, warm up and save on your carbon footprint!
Start Time: Promptly at 08:00; arrive by 07:45 in time to hear the pre-ride safety briefing, including the S.M.A.R.T. talk, and ensure you and your bike are completely ready. We will leave at 08:00 SHARP!
-LOGISTICS: PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY-
- No restrooms at the Start; a portable toilet is available, no running water.
- Portable toilet at Mile 11.8 at Tibbetts Valley Park, at the Newport Way entrance with no running water.
- SoulFood CoffeeHouse and Fair Trade Emporium at Mile 24.9, featuring caffeinated and non-caffeinated beverages, gluten free, vegetarian and vegan options (and most combinations of the above).
- Plan to allocate 20-25 minutes. We plan to depart just before 10:00.
- Please feel free to review their website, including menu beforehand.
- Redmond Central Connector Park at Mile 25.2, for the Eastside Rail Corridor Progress Celebration. Please review the event beforehand to understand what it is about, and why it is important to consider attending.
- Plan to allocate 45-60 minutes. We plan to depart just before 11:00.
Important Note: One of the missions of Cascade Bicycle Club is to promote bicycle-friendly policies and investments to local infrastructure. By showing our presence and support at the Eastside Rail Corridor Progress Celebration, we are expressing our gratitude and support for the region's positive momentum in fulfillment of this mission. However, the entirety of this ride including the social components will allocate three hours. As is generally the case with group rides, if this doesn't work for your schedule, you are free to go off of the ride on your own at any time. Please inform the Ride Leader of this intention before departing. In this event, please ensure that you have the map and/or a cue sheet available so that you can navigate safely back toward your starting point.
-OPERATIONAL: PROCEED TO READ EVERYTHING ELSE-
Climbing: Occurs at your own pace, the Ride Leader will target a "Brisk effort", which can mean up to double the power output as maintained in a flat during a climb. Expect that the Ride Leader will maintain a pace equivalent to speed plus the grade near the high end of the target pace (e.g., for Brisk (16-18mph in flats on your own without wind) a 4% grade at 14mph equals 18mph), while keeping an eye on the group. If anyone wants to go ahead on climbs for their Personal Record or King of Mountain, the Ride Leader must be notified and acknowledge that intent. Lack of notification or acknowledgement assumes that the rider moved ahead, are on their own and will be counted as off of the ride.
Registration: You are encouraged to pre-register by clicking the red "Register Now" button above, with no need to un-register if you change your mind about attending. This will save time at the Start.
Cancellation Criteria: Weather cancellation criteria includes ice, snow and sub-freezing temperatures that include high humidity/damp roads. In the event that the weather cancellation criteria are met (or emergency needs to cancel occur), a cancellation comment will be made here at least two hours before the ride Start - and the Ride Leader will not be at the Start. The Ride Leader may not be able to answer calls reliably on the morning of the ride as the Ride Leader typically rides to the Start, so please plan to follow protocol, accordingly.
Regroup/Togetherness Criteria: This is a Frequent Regroup ride. That means that we will regroup at planned stops, and where it is safe to do so, as necessary. However, this is not a Stay Together ride - which means that riders may be dropped for the following criteria:
- Significant or unserviceable mechanical issues (we will stop for minor, serviceable issues when the Ride Leader is notified).
- Not being able to maintain the advertised pace (speed and effort); please respect other riders' time - if you are observed to have trouble, we will wait for you and communicate with you to check if this is the situation. If you feel that the pace is a bit faster than it should be, please also share that opinion with the Ride Leader. We're all here to have fun, and enjoy the ride.
With the aforesaid, dropping will not occur without acknowledgement from the dropped rider(s), unless we are unable to locate you after significant efforts. Please understand the intent, in the interest of respect of other riders' time. Please have a way to communicate with the Ride Leader (such as a mobile device), as the Ride Leader may attempt to contact you in this situation.
- Please always have a way to get yourself back to your start point should there be a need.
- Please bring adequate supplies to repair/service your bike (tube/tools/etc.), and have full fenders if the roads or wet, or you will be asked to ride at the back of the group.
- Please do not forget to bring a helmet, as helmets are required to ride!