Error messageThe start time of the group ride is in the past.
Getting Ready to Ride Seattle #4: Gas Works-Ravenna-Sunset (leisurely)
KEEPING RIDERS SAFE
- Advance registration required. If you decide not to ride, please click Cancel My Registration below to open space for others. (How to cancel)
- Attendance at the pre-ride safety briefing is required to participate in the ride.
- All participants must follow Wash. state guidance on masking, distancing and vaccination for indoor and outdoor activities.
- If you have tested positive for COVID or have been exposed to someone with COVID, follow the CDC quarantine and isolation guidelines. In general, if you have COVID or are displaying COVID symptoms, you should not participate in group rides.
- Some rides stop at indoor venues. All riders should have face coverings available in case a business or public transit requires their use.
- A CPSC certified helmet is required to be worn to participate.
- Click here for more Details
If you are new, please read our newcomer information.
The Getting Ready to Ride Series
Are you new to bicycling or just been off of your bike for a while? Perhaps you have resolved to ride more this year or have signed up for a big ride like STP? If so, Getting Ready to Ride might be just for you! It is an 8-week series starting with a flat, easy ride and adding a little more challenge each week. We will regroup frequently and definitely at the top of any climbs.
This Week's Ride
Join us for a ride from Gas Works Park on a 21 mile route at leisurely pace (10-12mph)! This week we take the Burke-Gilman to the 39th Ave NE greenway where we take a gentle climb to Wedgwood, followed by a cross-town ride past Green Lake all the way to Sunset and western views over the Sound and the Olympics, before returning via Ballard and Fremont to the start.
Let's meet at the WEST end of Gas Works parking lot at 10:15am. We will start with a required pre-ride safety briefing, and ride when that is done. If you miss the briefing you will not be able to join this ride.
Portable toilets are available at the start and restrooms at our mid-point stop at Woodland Park (11 miles).
Bring a spare tube and tools to fix a flat, just in case. Please have full fenders if the roads are wet, or you may be asked to ride at the rear of the group.
Note: If weather conditions meet the weather cancelation criterion listed above or if there are unforeseen hazardous riding conditions or other unexpected events, the Ride Leader will post a ride-canceled note in the Comments section below at least two hours prior to the start and Ride Leader(s) will not be at the start location.
We hope you can join us!
Registrations so far...
Weather update and reminders
- it will be a VERY cold morning, with temps starting in the low 30s with clouds and light wind. Come prepared with multiple layers, warm gloves, helmet liners, neck gaiters etc. We'll try to get you moving as quickly as possible. Being on time and ready to ride will really help!
- This week's route includes a nice mix of level riding, climbs and descents on city streets, mixed use trails, cycle tracks, "healthy" streets/greenways, with some more challenging sections.
- We'll enjoy the neighborhoods and views while safely staying at the designated pace and waiting at the top of climbs.
We look forward to riding with you,