Mud, Bikes and Women: Washington Women of Cross aims to get more women into cyclocross
When the summer ends, so does road cycling season. And for many cyclists this means they'll be trading the pavement for dirt as cyclocross season kicks off in the fall.
Originated in Belgium, cyclocross is a form of bike racing that takes place on grassy and often muddy single tracks with short and steep hills, sharp corners and obstacles. Racers often have to dismount from their bikes to run across obstacles while carrying the bike. The races are fast, fun and short - no longer than 50 minutes max!
The newly-formed Washington Women of Cyclocross (WAWCX) aims to promote the sport and get more women on cyclocross bikes.
In order to showcase the sport of cyclocross, WAWCX announced it will host a cyclocross festival and a first-ever Women Celebration Race on Sunday, August 11.
Held at Saint Edward Park in Kenmore, Wash., the WAWCX Cyclocross Festival is an invitation for all women to learn about, experience and participate in the sport of cyclocross.
“The goal of the WAWCX Festival is to provide a welcoming environment to inspire, educate, and connect women to the local cyclocross community, cycling community and active women community,” said Kari Studley, event promoter and current Master World and National Cyclocross Champion.
- Cyclocross expo: local bike shops, health and fitness resources, cycling products, and cyclocross bike demo opportunities.The event will feature:
- Women Cyclocross skills clinic for beginner and intermediate experience levels facilitated by local elite women cyclocross racers and teams.
- Cross-A-Thon: a non-competitive cyclocross race simulation experience opportunity for all ages, women and men. All proceeds benefit the Evergreen Washington Student League.
- Mom Category Race: to truly celebrate and recognize women who balance cyclocross with their other life roles, there will be a moms race! Mom categories will be based on age of their oldest child and all proceeds benefit the ultimate WAWCX Mom-of-cross, Sarah Bender and her family.
- Women Celebration Cyclocross Race: USAC-sanction, women-only race races. This is a historic first for cyclocross!
Come out, bring your friends and experience cyclocross for yourself!