High Performance Cycling
Since 2008, Cascade Bicycle Club’s High Performance Cycling Team (aka “HPC”) has occupied a special niche within Seattle’s cycling community by providing a team environment for cyclists who are interested in developing their fitness and cycling skills. HPC is a team for fitter, faster cyclists who don’t have a strong interest in racing. HPC is well-regarded for being a team that rides hard while practicing safe group-riding skills. If you find that Free Group Rides does not offer the challenge, speed, or "team" like atmosphere that you are looking for in a cycling community, HPC might be a good fit for you.
HPC is a perfect fit for riders who are:
- committed to improving their fitness and cycling skills and want to ride with folks who are faster and more experienced:
- comfortable with, or desire to master pace line and group riding techniques;
- looking for compatible cycling buddies who regularly do long, scenic and challenging rides;
- able to or desire to ride at 18 mph or faster (without drafting, on a flat road with no wind and a reasonable road surface…during peak season…); and
- capable of riding over 50 miles.
HPC has approximately 100 members ranging in age from early 30s to late 60s. Our members target challenging event rides including the Chelan Century, Flying Wheels, Seattle to Portland (STP) in one day, RAMROD and the High Pass Challenge. Although we aren’t a racing team, some members do occasionally compete in multi-sport events and triathlons, individual time trials, and ultra distance events like the Race Across Oregon and Cascade Ultra.
In addition to event rides, we also like to “roll our own” long rides: 100-miles out and back on the North Cascades Hwy to Mazama; climbing the Mt. Baker Hwy to Artist Point, and doing all of the climbs around Mt. Rainier in one serving.
There are no team dues, but a premium membership with the Cascade Bicycle Club is required, and you must have a team jersey. Team jerseys can be purchased at the team’s gear sponsor, Center Cycle. Other team clothing such as bib shorts, vest, jackets, etc., can be purchased through team orders that are place periodically through the year.