Farmers Market Rescue | University District Food Bank
This month's food bank volunteer needs
Important event details:
Meet us on Saturdays at 1:40pm.
Meet just inside of the large garage door in front of the U District Food Bank.
The Address of of the food bank is 5017 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105 (map)
What to bring:
- Mask (for your safety we recommend wearing a mask at the Farmers Market)
- Gardening gloves if you have them (for handling the donated produce)
After everyone arrives we will hook up bike trailers (if needed), put on volunteer name tags and ride on over to the market information stand at the U District Farmers Market (map). It will only be about a 5 minute ride from the food bank to the farmers market.
- Our goal is to arrive at the farmers market about 5 minutes before the market closes at 2pm
- Check in with the market staff.
- Walk around to each vendor to check in and drop off a yellow bin with them.
- Circle back to each vendor after about 5 minutes to pick up the bins that are filled with the produce that they would like to donate.
- After that we'll load our bikes up and ride back to the U District Food Bank where we’ll weigh everything that we picked up and move it into the walk-in refrigerator so that it can be immediately used to provide food for our neighbors who are experiencing food insecurity on Sunday and Monday.
- Our final and most important goal is to have fun while learning more about our local food system and the folx involved in it!
Please take healthy precautions by wearing a mask, putting on full finger gloves when handling the boxes and packaged food and use hand sanitizer before and after the food rescue.
All of the donated produce will be given to us in yellow bins that are about the size of a banana box. Because of this it is recommended that you use a bike trailer for this rescue. Fortunately we have a whole fleet of bike trailers available for our volunteers to use for just this very occasion!
For returning the trailer, please drop it back off with me at the U District Food Bank after the food rescue pick-up. If for any reason you are unable to drop the trailer back off please don't hesitate to call me at my phone number below and we'll figure out a way for you to get the trailer back to me.
Contact info for if you have any questions:
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to call or text me at 206-915-2381, otherwise please email me at email@example.com or respond to this email.