Chains and Derailleurs
ALL MAINTENANCE CLASSES ARE ON HOLD FOR 2021. WE PLAN TO OFFER THESE CLASSES AGAIN STARTING APRIL 2022.
With our current capacity we are prioritizing youth programming and very new riders. We appreciate your understanding! Here are some other great resources in the area for bike maintenance:
- Bike Works- an awesome bike non-profit located in Columbia City, currently offering in-person maintenance classes
- Sharing Wheels- a community bike shop in Everett offering great beginner maintenance classes
- The Bikery- a volunteer-run bike space where you can donate to use their fix-it stands and tools. Great for riders who would like to work on their own repairs but would like a guiding hand if they get stuck. :)
- Check out or Tips for Biking page that includes all of our favorite websites and videos for maintenance tips and tricks!
In this hands-on class, you’ll learn the fundamentals of drivetrain and shifting mechanics. Our step-by-step instructions will help you get your bike to shift and pedal more smoothly. You’ll learn how to properly maintain and adjust your drivetrain and shifting system.
Learn how to:
- Identify the parts of your drivetrain
- Clean and lube your drivetrain
- Inspect your drivetrain for common wear patterns and know when to replace parts
- Adjust your front and rear derailleurs
- Troubleshoot shifting problems
- Small class size and low instructor to student ratios allow you to learn in a patient and supportive environment.
Class Size: minimum: 5, maximum: 8
Price: Premium Member $40, Non-Member $45
Duration: 2.5 hours
How to prepare: Bring your bike as you will be working on your own bike.
Location: Cascade Bicycle Club, 7787 62nd Ave. NE Seattle, WA 98115. We are located right off of the Burke Gilman Trail at Magnuson Park.
Bike Parking: Bike racks available outside the building as well as limited indoor space.