Urban Cycling Techniques
These classes are done for the season and will resume in February/March of 2023.
Contact a local League Certified Instructor, Brian Watson, if you would like one on one or small group lessons this winter before the Cascade Bicycle Club season starts again.
For our outdoor riding classes we are requesting that students wear masks when they are in close discussion, but they can be pulled down or taken off for the riding exercises.
Whether running errands, commuting to work, or getting exercise, urban cyclists of all sorts will appreciate this course! We have designed Urban Cycling Techniques (UCT) to teach cyclists how to interact safely and positively with city traffic. This class is perfect for those who already know how to ride their bike, but want to gain mastery over the many situations that can arise while biking in the urban and suburban environment.
UCT is based on the League of American Bicyclists Smart Cycling curriculum
Learn how to:
- Properly fit your bike and helmet
- Handle your bike confidently and effectively
- Position yourself on the road to avoid and deter the mistakes of other users
- Communicate effectively with other road users
- Apply emergency bike handling maneuvers to avoid a crash
- Apply traffic laws as they pertain to cyclists
- Choose the right gear for riding in variable conditions
- Understand dedicated bike infrastructure and when to use it
- Choose the best route to get you safely and efficiently to your destination
This class consists of bike handling drills and applying our urban riding theory to real road situations by riding with instructors and class participants through our built environment. This will give you the opportunity to practice trail etiquette, intersection scenarios, lane positioning, and more - all while having fun with diverse learners and instructors.
This class is designed for adults. Students under 18 may be able to register for the class, but must have a parent or guardian attending the same class as a registered participant. Please contact us to discuss before registering your child.
Pre-requisites: Essential Biking Knowledge is a prerequisite for this on-bike course.
Sign up for UCT if you can:
- Comfortably ride short distances with one hand on the handlebars
- Stop quickly without losing control of your bike
- Shift gears and choose the right gear for the terrain
If you have difficulty with any of these skills, please consider joining us for our Basic Cycling Techniques class.
Class Size: min 5, max 8
Price: Members $70, Non- Members $75
Financial assistance is available HERE
Duration: 5 hours
How to Prepare: Bring a bike in good working order and a CPSC approved helmet. Bring snacks, water and lunch and be sure to wear weather-appropriate clothing.
Location: Cascade Bicycle Club, 7787 62nd Ave. NE Seattle, WA 98115. We are located right off of the Burke Gilman Trail at Magnuson Park.
Bike Parking: Bike racks available outside the building as well as limited indoor space.