Major Taylor Project
The Major Taylor Project
Named after African-American world champion cyclist Marshall "Major" Taylor, the Major Taylor Project (MTP) empowers youth through bicycling. In after-school bicycling clubs MTP students explore their communities, build confidence and leadership skills, and discover their power to effect change.
During the summer months, many MTP students go further than they thought possible — testing their skills, experience, and perseverance — by biking 206 miles from Seattle to Portland on the annual STP.
What we do
Offer weekly bike rides after school so students can explore their community
Deliver bicycle safety and maintenance education
Provide opportunities to elevate youth voices and inspire students to advocate for change in their community
Expose students to various cycling disciplines, including: touring, urban riding, track racing, mountain biking, and cyclocross racing
Offer an eight-week Build-a-Bike program to increase ownership of bikes
Provide training opportunities for students to prepare for Cascade events
Who we serve
The Major Taylor Project reaches more than 500 youth annually in middle and high schools in central and south King County and in Pierce County. In these areas, residents speak over 70 languages and represent over 80 nationalities. Our club locations are intentionally established to reach youth in underserved neighborhoods.
- Cascade Middle School - White Center, WA
- Chief Sealth High School, Seattle, WA
- Cleveland High School - Seattle, WA
- Denny International Middle School, Seattle, WA
- Evergreen High School, White Center, WA
- First Creek Middle School - Tacoma, WA
- Foss High School - Tacoma, WA
- Foster High School, Tukwila, WA
- Franklin High School, Seattle, WA
- Tyee High School, Seatac, WA
- Highline High School, Burien, WA
- Jason Lee Middle School, Tacoma, WA
- Lincoln High School, Tacoma, WA
- Mt. Tahoma High School, Tacoma, WA
- Rainier Beach High School, Seattle, WA
- Stewart Middle School, Tacoma, WA
- YES! Foundation of White Center, White Center, WA
- Chief Leschi Schools, Puyallup, WA
From the students
“MTP has changed my life by traveling to Portland — which was the longest bike ride I ever had — and now I ride my bike frequently. I love that MTP gives the opportunity to those who cannot afford a bike and gives them lots of memorable moments.” – Harpreet Singh, MTP student at Foster High School
“MTP shaped a community around me that otherwise wouldn't be there. MTP brings out the best in people, a student can have an absolute lousy day but still enjoy learning, riding and connecting to their surroundings with a smile on their face every time.” – Han Chen, MTP Franklin High School Alumni & MTP Ride Leader
Join the Ride for Major Taylor Project
It is one of Cascade's biggest annual fundraisers for the Major Taylor Project youth educational programs. Sponsorships are available! Please contact Connie Stark, email@example.com for more information.
Click here to purchase supplies from the MTP Wishlist
Although the Cascade office is temporarily closed to the public, we are receiving packages. Supplies ordered online can be mailed directly via Amazon to Cascade Bicycle Club c/o Education Team, 7787 62nd Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98115. We appreciate your support!