Bike To School
Bike To School - May 2022
May is National Bike Month! Bike Month is a time for people of all ages across the country to engage in active transportation through bicycling. Schools, individuals, and youth in grades K-12 are invited to participate.
How to Participate
Students/Youth in grades K-12 - Participate and be entered into our raffle to win a PRIZE!:
- You can play Bike Bingo or submit your total number of minutes that you rode in May to be automatically entered into a raffle to win a prize. You are welcome to play both, but only one entry per individual will be accepted for the raffle.
Schools - Participate and your school can win one of the following trophies:
- Most minutes in the month of May.
- Most participants on National Bike Day, May 20.
- Largest percentage of student participation on May 20.
*If your school population does not have a ton of access to bikes, reach out to us (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we can discuss some options to promote staying active and healthy in the month of May.
- Print out & post this Promotional Flyer around your school.
- Pass out the Tracking Calendar to your students.
- Have a volunteer coordinator or teacher collect all of your students' tracking calendars and then submit the total number of minutes your school logged for the month of May using this form.
- Keep track of how many students rode their bike to school on National Bike Day, May 20, 2022 and submit that total number on the same form above.
- May 4, 2022 is Bike & Roll to School Day*. This can be a fun event to organize as well. See the website for more details.
- *Cascade will not be offering prizes or tracking school participation for that day. However, if you participate, please let us know. We'd love to give your school a shout out.
Why Bike to School?
Biking helps us feel energized, engage with our neighbors and reduce our carbon footprint. Not only does biking to school help foster lifelong healthy habits, but it can also encourage active transportation in the early-life stage. Starting the school day with a bike ride, walk or roll will ensure that kids are awake and ready to learn!
2019 Bike to School Month Recap
Cascade’s Bike to School Month challenge is a statewide challenge to encourage elementary, middle, and high school students to bike with us on National Bike to School Day and throughout the month of May! Take a look at these outstanding achievements:
On Bike to School Day 2019 a reported total of 726 students rode their bikes!
Two Golden Pedal Awards were given out this year to:
- Thornton Creek Elementary takes the first Golden Pedal this year with the most minutes ridden. Their students logged 44,144 minutes in May!
At least nine school districts across the state participated in Bike to School Day and the month-long challenge.
By the end of the month a total of 202,619 minutes were logged by elementary and middle school students combined. That's over 140 days worth of biking!