In case of a collision
- Assess physical injury and call 911 if medical assistance is needed.
- Remain calm and non-confrontational.
- Get the vehicle driver's insurance information, address, phone and license plate number.
- Get the name, phone number and address of every witness.
- Take photos of the scene, your injuries, your bike and all other involved vehicles.
- Get the necessary medical treatment. If you wish to contact an attorney for advice, see our list of local bike attorneys.
- Call the police or visit a police station within 72 hours to file a report. This is important to make sure that your state has accurate crash data. If no police report is filed, please report your crash here.
- Depending on your state and policy, your car insurance personal injury coverage *may* be able to help cover medical expenses and time missed at work. However, every state and policy is different, so we recommend speaking with your insurance agent.
- Have your bike thoroughly inspected by a bike shop. There may be cracks in the frame that you cannot detect.