Advocacy Leadership Institute 2023
Apply for our upcoming sessions
Your Streets Your Say (YSYS) has historically consisted of two weekend retreats focused on training advocates who want to be part of more walkable, bikable communities. In response to COVID-19 and in our new social distancing reality, we are updating our training to be a virtual experience, and are excited to engage with advocates near and far through an online platform.
Between sessions, participants are encouraged to attend virtual community meetings, engage with other advocates and safe streets advocacy groups, and apply skills from the training. In addition to attending training sessions, all participants are expected to complete a small individual or group project which applies skills learned through the training.
- A fun, inclusive and supportive environment to learn more about bicycling and safe streets advocacy
- Weekly readings and event listings in between the retreats
- The opportunity to connect with elected officials, city planners and community organizers
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided during the training
- Connections to YSYS alumni network and others in the safe streets advocacy field
- Attend and actively engage in both training sessions
- Between sessions, virtually attend at least one community meeting about one project or advocacy issue, or participate in a similar activity. E.g. Seattle Bike Advisory Board, City Council, project open house, homework assignment, etc.
- Complete a small group or individual project and present it at the YSYS graduation event (date TBD)
- Engage in advancing at least one project after the trainings