Advocacy Leadership Institute 2020
The first 2020 Advocacy Leadership Institute (ALI) training consists of two weekend retreats focused on training advocates who want to be part of a more walkable, bikable Seattle.
Between sessions, participants are encouraged to attend community meetings, engage with other advocates and safe streets advocacy groups, and apply skills from the training. In addition to attending both training sessions, all participants are expected to complete a small individual or group project which applies skills learned through the training.
1. Training Session #1: Saturday, March 7 2020 – all day (9 am to 5 pm, location TBD)
2. Training Session #2: Saturday, March 21, 2020 – all day (9 am to 5 pm, location TBD)
3. Graduation Celebration and Project Presentations – date and location TBD, based on participant availability
- A fun, inclusive and supportive environment to learn more about bicycling and safe streets advocacy
- Weekly readings and event listings in between the retreats
- The opportunity to connect with elected officials, city planners and community organizers
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided during the training
- Connections to ALI alumni network and others in the safe streets advocacy field
- Attend and actively engage in both training sessions
- Between sessions, attend at least one community meeting about one Seattle project or advocacy issue, or participate in a similar activity. E.g. Seattle Bike Advisory Board, City Council, project open house, etc.
- Complete a small group or individual project and present it at the ALI graduation event (date TBD)
- Engage in advancing at least one project in Seattle after the trainings